Thursday, May 26, 2011

Some Stuff About Denmark

Okay, I'm back in the States, and it feels really weird. It hardly feels like I've been gone but I know that I have been, and the combination of these two factors makes everything seem very surreal.

I feel like I should talk a bit about Denmark, since it seems like forever since I last did. This post is probably going to be a bit disjointed, but bear with me.




One of the cool things I got to do this semester was go to a football (er... soccer) match with my Danish language class. This is a picture of Parken Stadium in Copenhagen, where the match was held.










The match was extra exciting because it was between two rivals: F. C. København- Copenhagen's main team, and Bronby- the team from the suburbs. We were seated in the F.C.K. section, so we decided it would probably be best to root for them.











F.C.K.'s mascot being enthusiastic.















F.C.K.'s fans being enthusiastic.

Football is one of the most popular sports in Denmark, and the fans were very loud and involved in the game. They spent the whole time chanting and singing. F.C.K. has some pretty cool chants. Here's one that I like in particular. It's kind of catchy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSXOTVWUhfk&feature=related





The F.C.K. guys are in the white jerseys and the Bronby guys are in the yellow.



















































































A real, live football injury! It was just like the World Cup!















"He did it."































F.C.K. were definitely the favorites and everyone expected them to win. After the first half they were losing, but by the end they managed a 2:1 victory. It was very exciting.










Another highlight of the semester was the pastries. There are some awesome pastry shops in Copenhagen, and though it took me a little while to get up the courage to buy things, after I had tried a pastry I was able to put aside my fear and do it again. And again. And... well, you get the idea.
I took pictures of a few of them, because they were just so awesome.



This is called a "horn" in Danish. They often had marzipan in them. This particular one had a strawberry filling.














This is a piece of drommenskage ("dream cake"). I have no idea what the stuff on top was- something sugary- but it was really good.











I don't remember the Danish name for this one, but it was cinnamon-y and delicious.













This is a Christianshavnkage (I think I'm spelling that right). Christianshavn is a section of Copenhagen, and I don't know what it has to do with this pastry, which is basically a cupcake with a huge blob of berries and cream on top. It's as good as it looks.

Actually, now that I think about it, Christianshavn is as good as it looks too. Hmm...



This isn't a pastry, but it's very typically Danish, so I thought I should mention it. This is my attempt at a smørrebrød- an open-faced sandwich. It requires the very unique type of rye bread that you get in Denmark, which is very nutty and tough and really only there to serve as a foundation for the sandwich. You wouldn't eat it on its own. Then you can put pretty much whatever you want on top. A typical topping is leverpostej- liver paste- which I consider to be the Danish version of peanut butter. Danish kids eat a lot of rye bread with leverpostej for lunch and it is very typically Danish, but foreigners think it tastes weird. As is the case with Amurricans and peanut butter. And... I don't know... Australians and vegemite (which I have tried, by the way- that stuff is nasty). Lots of countries have an equivalent strange thing to put on bread.
   Smørrebrød is typically eaten with a fork and knife, and for me it took some getting used to. At first I couldn't stand the bitter taste of the rye bread, but after a while it grew on me. The trick is getting the toppings to cover the taste. This is a lunch option that I kind of miss, now that I am back in the States. Just another reason for me to hurry back to Denmark.

That's all for now. Happy (belated- it was yesterday) Towel Day!

Hej hej!

No comments:

Post a Comment