Saturday, February 26, 2011

Travels in det Mørke Jylland- Part 3

  Okay, this should be my last post about Jylland, because I need to move on to talk about all the other stuff I've been doing. Yikes..
  I believe I left off with my Danish danish. That was a bit of a cliffhanger, I know. Sorry about that.
  After the Danish danish, we all went to see a Danish reggae band perform. Now, it was news to me that there is even such a thing as a Danish reggae band. But since I have had the rare opportunity to actually see one, I will provide a picture.




There you have it. The elusive Danish Reggae Band (Daniscus reggaeus) in its natural habitat.











Their music was far too loud for my taste, but catchy. We didn't stay for the whole concert because we were all tired from a day of strenuous bus sitting, but the songs we did hear were, in my opinion, pretty good. A thumbs up for Danish reggae.

  The next day we went to Jelling to see the Jelling Stones. Jelling is the location of two huge burial mounds constructed for Gorm the Old, the first king of Denmark, by his son Harald Bluetooth, the first Danish king to have a piece of electronic equipment named after him. It is also the location of the Jelling Stones, runic stones commissioned by Harald Bluetooth that include references to the Vikings' forced conversion to Christianity (courtesy of Harald Bluetooth) and which also include the first usage of the name "Denmark" for this particular bit of northern Europe.





One of the mounds, and a little church that wasn't built until much later.






One of the mounds.




















One side of the main Jelling Stone, with an inscription about Gorm the Old.












Another side.



















Gorm the Old was buried in bits, several different times. The bits ended up under the church. This white squiggle marks the location of one of them. Don't ask me which one.









   After leaving Jelling we went to Kolding to see Koldinghus, a restored castle that is now used as an art museum.




Koldinghus and some cool trees.
















The courtyard.
















 The tower.














The tower provided a nice view of the town. Unfortunately you can't really see the view because some touristy bugger got in the way.




Koldinghus had a exhibit on Beatles-related things, which was cool and  had the added benefit of teaching me new, fun Danish words. I now know "submarine" and "help" (hjaelp).









After that we returned to Copenhagen.
Overall I enjoyed the trip, and learned a lot. I also probably got a lot more sleep on that bus than I had been getting in the average school week, which was nice. I would conclude with something deep and profound about Danish culture, possibly involving pastry, but it's very late and I need to go to bed.

Hej hej!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Emma,

    Your latest foray into the local countryside looks every bit as interesting as your previous trips. Long after the memories fade of your “Great Danish Adventure” you will have some incredible photos to remind you of your wonderful days in Denmark. In addition, I am sure you will feel that discreet, happy face come over you as you read your narrative and appreciate your wit and terrific sense of humor.

    BTW, last night at the Academy Awards, a Danish film “In a Better World” won the Oscar for best foreign film. Have you seen that flick?

    I’m always curious about the “other” movies like short subjects, foreign films and especially documentaries. I would actually enjoy seeing a few of the nominees in those categories, but I really don’t know where to find them.

    I am told that France is in the “on deck circle” for your travels. Is that soon? I am so excited for you. I think you were there as part of your RS tour, right. I really would like to go to France someday. Speaking of the French....

    Our family’s favorite comedy movies when the boys were young were the Peter Sellers’ “Pink Panther” films. His character portrayal of French Inspector Clouseau was so outrageously funny. The scene where Clouseau comes home and he and Kato fight each other must have been replayed a gazillion times at our house – especially the slow motion part toward the end. I can still hear the boy's laughter.

    I can imagine with your sense of humor and quick wit you might possibly arrive at your French lodging and ask, “Do you have my “reum”?

    Or if you visit the Parc Zoologique de Paris, you can inquire if they have any “minkies” there. If they need to know more just say, "Yes! Chimpanzee Minkies"! Have fun with that, Emma.

    I think I finally have a clue to deciphering Danish language. Danish words are like a word jumble. The actual English word is contained within the Danish spelling......only jumbled up. Like, “hjaelp” is actually “help”. You just have to know which letters don't count. Am I close?

    Time to go for now. I am so proud and happy that you are having the time of you life.
    Have a great adventure in France!

    Hej, Hej!

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evetest Base Camp Treks
    Everest base camp treks is high altitude in the land of Himalayas. The number of trekker to EBC is increasing and most challenging adventure global wise. This trekking route goes through Sagarmatha National park. We can see the beautiful ranges of world’s highest mountain Mt. Everest with other mountains like Mt. Pumori, Amadablam and high Himalayas. One of the most awe-inspiration treks in Nepal Himalaya which takes you through the historic route top of the world. So we need to accumulate our self properly explore about the cultivation of Sherpa community people. We can also take some picture from our camera as the memory of Everest base camp.
    Our trek to Everest base camp starts Kathmandu valley with the quick fly over to Lukla land of Himalayas. We will continue walking to Everest region through the path Sagarmatha National Park and reach beautiful villages named Phakding, Namche bazaar, Khumjung, Tengboche, Dingboche, Lobuche, Kalapatthar peak etc. the unbelievable views of golden dawn mountain and many species of rare plants and animals. In our journey will be only Sherpa community Khumbu Region.
    Sherpa community people follow Buddhism and Tibetan culture. Due to which explore the culture and tradition of Sherpa community. Trekking to Everest base camp is known as little bit tough trekking because all totally done in high altitude of land Himalayas. The most favorable season is Atom and spring (September, October, November and December to March, April and May). EBC trek offers you more then what you have with unaffordable and once in a life adventure. Come join Nepal Base Camp Treks (Pvt. Ltd.) team to experience a promising adventure in Nepal.

    ReplyDelete