Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Brief Update

Hello again. First of all, breaking news! 


Look! Snow! Last Wednesday I woke up and looked out my window and, lo and behold, it was snowing! You would have thought I was in Northern Europe, or something.
The snow was gone by the end of the day and we haven't gotten any more since, but it was exciting at the time.








 I have done a lot since the last time I posted, but I have to go to bed soon because I am leaving early tomorrow to go on a field trip to Jutland (western Denmark). Therefore I am only going to mention a few important things now, such as this hot chocolate I had when I went to a restaurant with my Danish language class. Not pictured is the tiny spoon that came with it. All Danish hot chocolate (or at least, all Danish hot chocolate that I've encountered so far) is made with Belgian chocolate. This makes it a bit more bitter than I'm used to, but it's still quite good.


Another slightly disturbing thing that I have learned is that there are no Skittles in Denmark. They are, in fact, banned because apparently they cause cancer. Either my Danish RA was pulling my leg, or the Skittles company has been concealing some very important information from Americans. Consider yourself warned.

Finally, semi-finals and finals of a major handball competition (I'm not sure if it was a world-wide competition, or just Europe) took place this last week. Denmark beat Spain in the semi-finals and moved on to the finals. It was very exciting. Handball is a very fast-paced and intense sport, and it's a lot of fun to watch. The final was this last weekend, and it was Denmark versus France.



 This is a visual aid. Observe the handball. Considering the fact that I was taking a picture of something on TV, this photo turned out surprisingly well.










 The final game was especially exciting because Denmark scored in the last few seconds, creating a tie and sending the game into overtime. In the end, though, France managed to get ahead by two goals and stay ahead, so they won. But even with the disappointing outcome, it was still a lot of fun to watch.

That's all for now. Next time I'll tell you all about my trips to Frederiksborg Castle, Esrum Abbey, Jutland and my new pet Danish family.

Hej hej!

1 comment:

  1. Can you mail me a Belgium Hot Chocolate. I can't tell you how good that looks. It is freezing here and all I have is Swiss Miss. Keep posting!
    - MOM

    ReplyDelete