Sunday, January 23, 2011

Classes, Castles and Salty Licorice

     I can't believe I've already been here for more than a week. It seems like I just arrived. Classes started on Thursday. The classrooms are just down the street from the apartment where I live, and I managed to find my way to all of my classes, despite the fact that one of the buildings must have originally been intended as a maze. I'm taking six classes: European literature, marine biology, Danish language and culture, Russian literature, Ancient Greece and something called "Memory and Identity" which is a requirement and deals with European cultural identities. It should be fairly interesting. As of right now, I have had each class once (except for Ancient Greece, which doesn't start for a few weeks) and they all seem like they will be quite enjoyable. The teacher in the European literature class introduced herself by telling us that she's a geek, so I'm quite confident that I'm going to like that class.
    Oh, and here's something that will probably only be meaningful to my friends at school: the study abroad program has a very small library in one of the academic buildings here, and I was exploring it - well, I say "exploring", it's just one room - and I came across a book by Professor Pleshakov. I was so surprised that I almost took a picture of it. Someone in that library has good taste.
    Here's a rundown on some other things I've been up to.


  



 Exhibit A: Salty licorice














    I heard of this stuff through, strangely enough, anime, and knew it as salmiakki which is, in fact, the Finnish name for it. In English it's salty licorice. It seems to be present throughout Scandinavia, and I was determined to try some while here. So I picked some up at a local grocery store and, once I had plucked up the courage, tried some. It tastes just like salty licorice. With an emphasis on the salt. It was... strange and mostly, but not entirely, unpleasant. My tongue felt numb for at least ten minutes afterward. I might wait a while before having another piece. 

  I also went on a few trips this weekend, led by people from the study abroad program. Yesterday I went to the town of Elsinore (or Helsingør in Danish) which contains Kronborg Castle, best known as the castle from "Hamlet". 






Kronborg Castle. I had assumed it would be bigger.











  

Behold, Sweden! Kronborg Castle is located at the point where Denmark is closest to Sweden. This is because back in the Middle Ages the Danish king decided to tax all of the ships that sailed through the little channel in between Denmark and Sweden, and so he had two fortresses built: one on the spot where Kronborg Castle is now, and one on the other side of the channel. Because, of course in those days Sweden belonged to Denmark.








 
Any ship that didn't pay the tax could expect a rain of cannonballs.











  




The moat. And... ramparts? Are those ramparts? I never can tell.
















The great hall.
















It was kind of dark in some of the rooms so the color here isn't great, but the castle was full of tapestries. As castles tend to be.

















I don't remember exactly what this room was for.















The inner courtyard.














This is from one of the many paintings in the castle. It shows Danish Queen Margrethe I accepting the crowns of the kings of Sweden and Norway. It was during her reign that Denmark subjugated Sweden and Norway and created what was known as the Kalmar Union.














The organ in the castle's little chapel.













The dungeons were very dark and damp and cold with low ceilings. The emphasis here is on dark. I wasn't able to get many pictures, but this one should give you a general idea of what they were like. Apparently, the soldiers stationed down in the dungeons were given copious amounts of alcohol in order to better deal with the conditions.













I also walked around the town a bit and took some pictures. Some of the houses looked quite old.



























I have to go to bed now, but I'll probably do another post tomorrow because I haven't covered all of my weekend excursions. Hej hej!

5 comments:

  1. Super Emma. You are very good at this blog thing. Very funny. I wish I had gone to one of the castles. Perhaps another time. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you need to come back to see the castles. Kronborg was really cool, especially the dungeons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good afternoon, Emma!

    It is a balmy 0 degrees here in the frozen tundra of Saratoga Springs, NY. At 8 AM it was -20 F and Glens Falls, NY broke a long-standing record with a minus 32 degree overnight temperature.

    Just for yucks, I went on the Mt. Washington Observatory website last night and discovered the summit was -32 degrees F with a 70 mph wind.

    Whoa....nellie! Aren't you glad we didn't run into that weather when we were on our glorious Presidential Traverse this summer!

    I am intrigued by your photos and narrative. I am also so happy to see you "plugged into" the university tours to familiarize yourself with the wonderful sights and rich history of Copenhagen. Make the most of your opportunities while you're there. Investing in the little, personal things will yield everlasting memories.

    Copenhagen looks like a really cool place and very "user friendly". I'm sure that you will have your share of "where am I's", but it will only be a matter of time before you are familiar with your surroundings and referring to your neat apartment as "home".

    Now we all know, "there's no place like home" especially if you are from a farm in Kansas, but Copenhagen will find a special place in your heart as time goes by.

    Also, the "maze" you had to navigate to get to one of your classes was probably set up on purpose to see if all "study abroad students" could figure out how to find their classes.

    That's a standard "higher education" tactic to weed out the students who can't find their way. Some of them are probably still wandering around in there.

    It's a good thing that you had no problem with finding your way. Being such a competent and terrific hike leader, I have great confidence in your ability to figure things out.

    Hey...if you can find your way around the high country of the White Mountains of New Hampshire, a little "maze" should be no problem!

    BTW, that particular room that you didn't know exactly what it was for... I think I figured it out. Remember the big fireplace at the end of the room and a large pot in the fireplace? I'm thinking it was the "potty room".

    Your classes sound interesting and you sound great! I will write again soon!

    Hej hej!
    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's flipping freezing here, I wish I were safely in Europe with you! I spent most of today marking in bowings on Orchestra music, and I have to figure out some kind of rotation for set up! Oh! And we have the salty liquorice stuff in the Netherlands also!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ellen: Yeah, I've heard it's been cold in the US. You have my sympathy. Good luck as orchestra Manager! Remember to be mean and scary.

    Pete: It's great to hear from you, as always. Yeah, Mount Washington sounds like it's brutal in the winter. It's amazing, considering the fact that I haven't been here for all that long, but I am starting to feel a bit more comfortable. I've never liked walking around cities all that much, but here I feel relatively safe. And I always keep a map with me just in case.

    ReplyDelete